Statcounter

Friday 26 September 2014

Barnet - Christ Church

I wasn't expecting much from this visit to sweep up the remaining north London churches that were once in Herts but two exceeded those expectations.

Christ Church was open - and this seems to be the normal state of affair since they appear to be a thriving low church with numerous community events, clubs and activities along with concerts, a thriving food bank and is a key part of the local community.

I know all this because when I entered the body of the church I encountered the verger and lay verger who, initially, rather suspiciously asked me if they could help (bear in mind I'm a 50 year old conservative church crawler lacking a hoodie). When I asked if I could look around and take photos - I failed to mention interiors rather than people - the verger, after asking why I wanted to, said he'd have to go and check with Management.

The lay verger then explained that because of the toddlers, baby and pre-school clubs everyone needed to be CRB'd, then gave me a detailed history of the church followed up with a mild, but fervent, critique of Anglican Catholicism - all bells and smells etc.

The verger returned with the verdict...no, I couldn't but if I emailed so and so I could arrange a time to do so, internal mutterings ensued but I was stupid in not pointing out that in the body of the church I wasn't in any danger of broaching decency.

Having been taken under the lay verger's wing I was shown, and told about, all parts of the complex but not around the church.

Will I bother to email for an appointment - I think not; although it looked like it had some good glass which is a shame to miss.

CHRIST CHURCH, New Road. Flint with stone dressings, 1845-52, by G. G. Scott. N aisle 1855.

Christ Church (2)

Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment